Director of Marketing, Technology & Digital
Context of the Position
The Marketing, Technology and Digital Director’s primary responsibility is the strategic development, execution, and deployment of communications, consistent with the growth and impact goals of the ASO’s 5-Year Strategic Initiatives. A key component of this position is to lead a Digital Transformation to meet changing expectations of its constituents, including patrons, musicians, Board members, staff, business partners, and the community at large.
This key senior management position is responsible for meeting revenue goals, and it is instrumental in achieving the success of a new 5-Year Plan to transition the Annapolis Symphony Orchestra into a 21st Century American Orchestra.
The position reports to the Executive Director & Chief Development Officer.
Compensation: $55,000 to $75,000 annual salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Annapolis Symphony offers a competitive benefits package to its employees, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance; sick days and paid annual vacation.
Location: Annapolis, Maryland.
Marketing & Communications:
Work closely with Executive Director to develop and execute strategies to achieve goals, including timely and frequent revenue analysis and tracking.
- Responsible for keeping the branding, positioning, and messaging of the ASO on target.
- Develop and monitor expense and revenue budgets.
- Increase awareness of the ASO’s various programs.
- Negotiate trade agreements and media sponsorships.
- Work closely with Development Director to maximize sponsorship opportunities and to ensure a coordinated approach to patron development.
- Set and implement all marketing data practices and policies.
- Responsible for the planning, production and execution of campaigns, including subscription and special campaigns, using a combination of traditional and digital channels.
- Work closely with the Board Committees to develop and manage market research, including audience surveys and new markets initiatives.
- Work closely with the Artistic and Academy leadership on development of programming language, production of media content, and communications.
- Responsible for the timely and effective execution of customer services, including supervising Patron Services Representatives as needed, and working closely with an Office Manager/Customer Service team member to meet customers’ expectations.
- Recruit, train and supervise marketing and customer service team members.
- Manage, promote and increase the number of email addresses in the ASO database.
- Work with the Public Relations team to develop and manage communications strategies as needed.
- Set priorities for the Marketing Department and implement adjustments and improvements, as necessary.
Responsible for making the organization more efficient through the use of technology.
- In charge of benchmarking and uncovering new technology opportunities across cost, productivity, quality, operating models, and agility.
- Responsible for improving IT resiliency.
- Responsible for the selection and supervision of IT vendors, working closely with them to secure software applications that support running all operations.
- In charge of making sure that safety precautions and protocols are in place, particularly for access to data internally and externally.
- Responsible for managing ASO’s email databases.
Responsible for developing a digital strategy and innovation programs, setting up the ASO for a digital transformation, identifying priorities, phases, and the right pace of implementation.
- Responsible for creating stunning digital experiences for ASO’s audiences.
- In charge of digital marketing operations, including digital sales and pinpointing emerging opportunities to find new sources of income.
- In charge of the “digital office”, providing and capturing value from digital actions in social media and digital channels; including audience experience, audience research, branding, user experience (UX) design, user interface (UI) design, analytics, inclusiveness, and education.
- Responsible for continuously managing and leading the digital transformation with both speed and stability.
- Responsible for the operation and promotion of Symphony+, including compliance with the Integrated Media Agreement (IMA) as part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) with the union, and licensing requirements from publishers.
- Work closely with the Executive and Music Director to secure digital global distribution that meets ASO’s strategic goals.
- Must have a transversal approach, able to include UX and UI internal elements and controls among team and Board members, musicians, Academy students and faculty, and key constituents as needed.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
Master’s degree, or equivalent experience, with a minimum of five years’ experience in contributing at the leadership level to a successful Marketing, Technology and/or Digital office. Strong management skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail required. Impeccable oral/written communication skills. Experience developing strategic plans and communicating program vision. Thorough knowledge of marketing, technology and digital departments functions.
Additional qualifications include:
Ability to help align the strategy of the organization with its brand story.
- Skilled at supervising and motivating team members, as well as managing multiple deadlines and competing priorities.
- Strong track record of planning, forecasting, achieving and exceeding income goals.
- Outstanding written, oral communication and negotiation skills.
- Experience managing and editing websites, including writing copy.
- Skilled in working with creative talent, including designers, editors, and artists.
- Must have thorough digital knowledge (e-commerce, online transactions, social media, digital marketing) and must fully understand the technological aspects of digital projects.
- Must have an acute knowledge of the systems, the data, and the best way to use such data; and must excel at technical knowledge and at assessing “timing” as in when to embrace and/or deploy a new technology.
- Strategic thinking, relationship building skills, collaboration, and attention to detail.
- Work to ensure that systems, organizational culture, and practices are aligned with ASO’s mission, vision, and guiding principles.
- Develop and refine programs and activities to ensure equitable practices and support the development of a diverse and effective team.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to receive and give supportive feedback to foster equity and inclusion in working relationships.
- Ability to recognize, nurture, and learn from strengths in co-workers.
- Having flexibility to accomplish job responsibilities in several work environments, whether it be from home, on the road, or in an office.
- Knowledge of classical music, artists and repertoire is a plus.
We are currently considering applications on a rolling basis.
The ASO encourages diverse candidates to apply and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. The ASO is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Candidates from minority backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
June 3, 2022